This dish is clean and green and sooo easy. Just poach or steam your chicken, make your pesto (or buy from supermarket) cook your rice and assemble. It’s a great light, summer meal, full of nutrients. The pumpkin seeds add some more green plus give you some extra zinc to help your immune system. This super salad is loaded with phytonutrients, antioxidants and vitamins.
- 4 x chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 cups rice, brown or white
- 1 x cucumber, sliced length ways
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 x zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup store bought pesto or see recipe below for easy, healthy pesto
- 2 tablespoons chilli or olive oil
- 1/4 can coconut milk
- 1 x tablespoon chicken stock paste or 1 x stock cube
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut (optional – I use the Pacific Organics one)
- 2 x spring onions, diced finely (green part only if fructose intolerant)
- Half a bunch of basil
- Half a bunch of coriander
- 1/4 cups cashews or whatever nut you prefer.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or chilli oil
- Salt n pepper to season
Put all ingredients in a thermomix or food processor and blend until mixed. (Thermomix 10 seconds, speed 6) If you have neither of these, chop up the herbs roughly, then put all ingredients into a mortar and pestle. Bash about all ingredients, then mix until combined.
Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. (Thermomix 1 cup rice in the basket, 1000L water, 17 minutes, Varoma temp, Speed 3.) Poach the chicken in half a saucepan of boiling water. Add 1 tablespoon of chicken stock paste (see my previous post for the recipe) and 1/4 cup coconut milk. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.Grate the zucchini and chop spring onions. Put half a cup of rice in each bowl, then place a handful of spinach on top of the rice and drizzle with olive oil or chilli oil to help activate the fat soluble vitamins in the spinach. Place the chicken on top then put 2 dessertspoons of pesto on each piece of chicken. Place a few pieces of cucumber around the chicken, then garnish with pumpkin seeds, spring onions and shredded coconut. Stir the pesto through each bowl.