High in fibre and B vitamins, combined with the protein of the walnuts, this salad is filling. The dressing is what makes it though; hardly original, but this dressing goes with everything! If having for dinner, serve with a bit of grilled fish or chicken for a low fat, healthy meal.
- 1 cup brown and red rice
- 1 small tin corn/ 1 x corn cob
- 15 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and salted lightly
- 1 cup Jap or Kent pumpkin, grilled in a sandwich press
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 x avocado, grilled in a sandwich press
- handful of mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil,
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Thinly slice pumpkin and toast on a sandwich press for approximately 10 minutes. Make sure you spray the sandwich toaster with olive oil or coconut oil spray first.Alternatively you can roast the in the oven on 180 degrees for approximately 20 mins.
- Crumble some feta over the top if not dairy intolerant
- You can use white rice if you’d prefer, but brown rice is much more nutritious and filling and the brown and red rice looks pretty
- Leave out the corn if sensitive to fructose and don’t eat more than 1/4 of an avocado.